General Position Description:
Provide overall management of day to day duties of the office and administrative oversight. Responsibilities include: monitoring of the administrative aspects of service delivery to insure appropriate scheduling and coverage, and management of the front reception areas. The employee in this position will be the first point of contact for clients and the general public. S/he will coordinate client flow throughout the site to increase overall satisfaction, will gather and maintain client information within the Electronic Medical Records and Reimbursement/Insurance database, and will collect payments and maintain a cash box. S/he will monitor safety to reduce risk to clients, staff and the agency. S/he will be responsible for coordinating/maintaining efficient and effective health information systems as defined by Accrediting/ Governing Bodies, Purchasers of Services, and PCC’s policy and/or procedure.
Performance Expectations and Competencies
1. Provide strong communication skills as PCC’s first point of contact with clients and the general public to ensure good customer service.
2. Ensure client information is correct when the client comes into the office through the Electronic Medical Records and Databases. Update client insurance information at each appoint along with demographic information.
3. Verify patient’s appointment on the Medical Manager and appointment report.
4. Will demonstrate the ability to provide day to day maintenance of the organization’s Health Information System (both written and/or electronic) within a designated PCC location as defined by CARF, HIPAA, NC Statute (APSM 45-2), Division of MH/DD/SA, MEDICAID, LME’s, Best Practice, and PCC’s policy and procedure.
5. Sort, file and collate a variety of medical records and information such as admission slips, laboratory reports, operative notes, clinic notes, discharge summaries into patient medical records in appropriate sequence and in accordance with established procedures
6. File and retrieve medical records by patient history number in accordance with established filing system and predetermined priorities; research lost or missing records in accordance with established procedures
7. Maintain the smooth flow of communication between patient, provider and other clinic support staff.
8. Handle scheduling inquiries, accept referrals and enter demographics into computer system
9. Keep clinic and waiting area clean, organized and safe.
10. Answer telephone calls promptly and courteously
11. Retrieve answering machine messages and return calls appropriately
12. Transfer telephone calls to other staff (e.g. nursing staff, outreach staff or etc. accordingly) appropriately.
13. Make, cancel and re-schedule appointments as needed
14. Ensure proper credit/payment is maintained on patient’s account (e.g. performs cashiering duties, posting charges, prints out receipt, etc.)
15. Responsible for opening and closing of cash box
16. Complete medical records tasks to including filing, completing requests for records, following up with clinicians on deficiencies, etc.
17. Back up driver as needed
18. Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
General Knowledge, Skill, and Competencies:
Knowledge of: methods and techniques of health information records maintenance; of applicable federal and state laws and agency policies and procedures; of AAMD, ICD-9CM and/or DSM-4 classification systems; of report writing techniques; knowledge of CARF, NC Division Rules (APSM 45-2, 10-3), best practices (American Health Information Management Association); and, MHSCC and Foothills LME Health Information requirements; of medical terminology; and, the use of computer software, such as Microsoft programs (Word, Excel, Outlook, etc.).
Skill in: maintaining a health information system that maintains conformance to the expectations of accrediting bodies, Purchasers of Service, and best practices; Skills in Information Organization, Finding ways to structure or classify multiple pieces of information. Skills in Reading Comprehension, Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents. Skills in Information Gathering, Knowing how to find information and identifying essential information. Skills in Synthesis/Reorganization, Reorganizing information to get a better approach to problems or task. Skills in Monitoring, Assessing how well one is doing when learning or doing something, Problem Identification, Identifying the nature of problems
Preferred and Minimum Position Qualifications:
High school diploma with a minimum of two years experience working in a behavioral health or medical setting
Additional Job Requirements (Licenses, Certifications, Personal Vehicle, etc.):
1. Valid drivers license
2. Vehicle with tag, registration, and inspection
3. Adequate automobile liability insurance